Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Road Tripin'

Going on a road trip this summer. Some of you already know this, and some of you I will finally see again... finally! Been wondering what I should bring to listen too to pass the endless miles of salt flats and construction zones. Of course I will bring the ipod (however, it has been acting up lately - oh no!!) but what new stuff should I put on it? Audio books? New music? Old music? And how much am I willing to spend on all this stuff? I don’t have much money and shouldn’t be spending it on frivolous stuff like itunes.

But is music and books frivolous? Not for me. They have a huge impact on my life. They can inspire, motivate, alleviate, distract, and focus me. Some things make me cry... every time, no matter how many times I’ve listened, or make me smile or laugh. So yeah, profound effect. Not in the least bit frivolous. But I am having a hard time spending money to get some. The ultimate penny pincher and saver.

I’ve been fighting a bout of depression for months now. Exercising is helping, by getting me moving and outside for at least 30 minutes a day to see the sun. Exercising also helps with hygene. (gross, but sometimes I was just too tired to shower) Music and novels are a useful tool for me during these times as well, so why won’t I read? Buy new music? I bought 3 new books for me to read and have only read three chapters. I blogged about it here.

Right now I have my earbuds in and am listening to three songs on an endless loop. What are they? Into Dust by Mazzy Star, Just Breathe by Pearl Jam, and To Build a Home by The Cinematic Orchestra. They are of the more melancholy sort. Is it helping? Well, it is making me write this drivel. However, new music (to me anyway) can help me break out of a depressive state. Because it is new and exciting and I want to experience it.

That’s it! Light bulb moment. I experience what I listen to and read. The good stuff, I become so engrossed in it that I become part of it, and it a part of me. Which is why I can listen to three songs on an endless loop for hours, why I can re-read a book and enjoy it again and again. Same goes for movies, I suppose. Which is why I have such a large collection.

No idea where this is going, oh yeah, so to buy new stuff or not? I should. I think I need too, and not just for the trip.

No comments: