Friday, June 15, 2012

The fickle beast

I have two new blogs I am wanting to write but they will take some time to figure out. One requires me to learn how to embed music files legally and the other requires going over to my parents house to use their scanner, and search out more photos from my childhood which I do not have. *see previous post here

You may have noticed that this blog isn’t really about my job anymore. The obvious reason for that is because I don’t have one anymore! Haven’t for over a year and a half now. Scary to think about that. Money is getting very tight these days. It’s a good thing I’m a saver and not a spender. But the savings is almost gone. I have no idea what will happen when the winter rolls around. I’m hoping that dig bumming this summer will give me a little cushion... but if I have learned anything about the field of archaeology is that it is a fickle beast and can drop you in an instant. I haven’t worked for over 2 months now. I may or may not have a job lined up when I get back from the road trip in July. Being in limbo for a year and a half has not helped my psyche, I suspect.

Oh archaeology, I can’t seem to quit you. (sorry, I couldn't help myself) A smart thing would be to get a part-time job at some menial retail gig to have steady income till the shop requires my full attention, but I can’t seem to bring myself to do it. There is a sense of rebellion (may not be the right word) to staying in archaeology. Sometimes the work is monotonous and tedious, and downright frightening (angry people with guns and dogs comes to mind). But then there are the times when it is just breathtaking, literally and figuratively. And I hope I will never forget some of the amazing people I met and worked with over the years in the job.

No comments: