Friday, December 18, 2009

Now what?

Act V
Dec. 19th.
Christchurch

I’m bored. I slept in till 10am… or tried to anyway. I woke up at 8am and told myself that I’m on vacation, go back to sleep. I walked down to the Botanical Gardens and walked around and then went to the Canterbury Museum and walked through all the exhibits. Both were very nice and the museum is set up much like the Te Papa in Wellington, just not as big. But I learned more about the Maori people and European explorers and the birds etc. Well, that was all I had planned to do today and I walked out of the museum at 1pm. There’s still over eight hours of daylight left. So I walked back up towards my hotel and looked around at the outdoor markets at the Arts Centre and Cathedral Square and got lunch from a street vendor. There isn’t much to do here without leaving town. It’s pretty windy so I don’t really want to get on a boat to see whales or dolphins, I’d end up feeding them. And I’m waiting to do all my gift shopping till I get to Auckland, so that I don’t have to carry it all around with me. So I guess I will sit around and watch people the rest of the day. I fly back to Auckland tomorrow but not until 3pm.

Christchurch is interesting and a bit different. It is very much set up and designed like a British city. Most of the buildings are in that English style and architecture. There are lots of parks in the squares. Lots of pubs and restaurants, and at least 3 Starbucks within a ½ mile radius of my hotel. Of course I've never been to England, so what do I know? I think I’ve decided that I don’t really care for big cities. I like being close enough to them to go to the symphony or a sports game, but that’s about it. I don’t think I’m a city girl anymore.

Now, what to do with the rest of the day…

Next>>
Prev<<

No comments: